Containment System Leakage Testing
The Merrick Group, Inc. can provide services to support Containment System Leakage Testing, “type A, B, C” tests with qualified technicians in accordance with ANSI/ASME N45.2.6 or ANSI/ASME NQA-1 as required and work under the guidelines of ASME Section XI and 10CFR50 Appendix B.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) requires that all nuclear power plants undergo regular testing to ensure they comply with containment leakage requirements according to NRC 10 CFR 50 Appendix J. The requirements include three types of testing:
- Type “A” tests: Measure the containment system overall integrated leakage rate under conditions representing DBA containment pressure and systems alignments.
- Type “B” tests: A test intended to detect or measure leakage across pressure-retaining or leakage limiting boundaries other than valves, such as:
- Containment penetrations whose design incorporates resilient seals, gaskets, sealant compounds, expansion bellows, or flexible seal assemblies.
- Seals including door operating mechanism penetrations, which are part of the primary containment.
- Doors and hatches with resilient seals or gaskets except for seal welded doors.
- Type “C” Tests”: A pneumatic test to measure containment isolation valve leakage rates.