The Merrick Group loves to show off our recent news and projects. Read our monthly company newsletter, The Dose, to learn about our power plant outage seasons, hiring notices, industry training tips, employee shout-outs, cool photos, and more! You can also follow us on social media for more information!
News and Projects
Preparing for 2024 Spring Work Season!
- Completing maintenance training sessions is the first focus of the year!
- Are you ready to go to work this season? Review our checklist!
- Update your personal information
- Review your PPE
- Check your vehicle, backpack, and lunchbox
- Upcoming drug and alcohol testing
- #NuclearNews! Unit 4 at Plant Vogtle is expected to enter commercial operation soon
Happy New Year!
- CEO Dan Merrick reflects on 2023 and the bright future that 2024 holds for The Merrick Group
- Questions about the Spring Schedules? Reach out to Brian Stackhouse (HX) or Rhonda Lambert (ECT)
- Winter Safety Tip: Walk like a penguin!
- Quick reminders:
- Employee Referral Program
- Keep personnel files up-to-date
- Huge thank you to all who participated in Toys For Tots!
Happy Holidays from The Merrick Group
- 2023 is The Merrick Group’s best year ever! Check out the end-of-year statistics.
- Toys For Tots! Bring holiday cheer to families in need, donations and venmo contributions will be accepted until December 20th.
- New Merrick Merch drop. Get your hands on the new items available.
- Brush up on our tips for staying focused when completing a work task.
- Shoutout to everyone who participated in our photo contest. Another contest is coming soon.
The Season of Gratitude at The Merrick Group
- To jumpstart this season of giving thanks, a McGuire HX MNT Tech Support and Job Sponsor sends a message to The Merrick Group, “The way you all work together and perform makes every link be set to a standard that elevates the chain as a whole… I wish you all well in all your future endeavors.”
- Take time to freshen up on how The Merrick Group remains an industry leader in nuclear maintenance – Nuclear Professionalism.
- Join us in donating to Toys for Tots! Through mid-December, send a toy to our Hazleton office to help children in need have a joyful holiday.
- Happy Veterans Day to all of our Merrick employees who served. We are so grateful for your sacrifice.
- Shoutout to The Merrick Group’s hardworking team. We appreciate everything you do!
October 2023 The Dose Company Newsletter
- The Merrick Group recently participated in the Talen Energy 5th Annual Sporting/Trap Shoot. Talen Energy was able to raise over $12,700 for Berwick Area United Way!
- Read about healthy habits to help protect from getting sick.
- Avoid close contact
- Cover mouth/nose
- Clean your hands
- Avoid touching face (eyes/nose/mouth)
- Practice other good health habits
- Also, get hydration and health tips.
- Understand our work package & procedure use & adherence
- Pre-job brief
- CCV & 2-minute drill
- Stop work
- End of activity/shift
- View some images of Just in Time Training (getting ready for Fall Outage Season)
- Remember to keep sending in your images to Stephanie, please include the project and names of the people in the photo!
September Company News
- This September, The Merrick Group participated in multiple industry conferences in support of company growth and development.
- For our returning workers, read about the necessary steps to prepare yourself this Fall Outage season.
- Special shout-out and congratulations to Amanda Hudock & Rob Martin as they welcomed Baby Pasco into the world on August 16th!
- And finally, see the images from the 13th Annual Merrick Group Classic, where sponsors, volunteers and players were able to raise OVER $30,000 for Helping Hands Society.
Preparing for Fall Outage Season
In this August edition of The Dose:
- All employee schedules have been emailed. If you have not received your Fall schedule, please contact the following:
- Now is the time to verify your personnel file is updated with your current contact information! Please email Stephanie
- If you know someone who would like to start a career in nuclear for the first time, or is an existing nuke worker and wants to join The Merrick Group, be sure to contact Stephanie for more information regarding the referral program!
- We are currently staffing for Fall 2023 (no experience necessary)!
- The Merrick Group Classic golf tournament is entering its 13th year!
- Learn how to donate or sponsor.
- We will be donating to the Helping Hands Society, a non-profit organization serving special needs children and their families.
- Learn about Vehicle Safety
- See images from Family Day – this year we took a group of employees out to root for the Phillies!
Learn About Industrial Safety
In this summer edition of The Dose, we have a page dedicated to industrial safety. Learn how to be responsible for your own safety and the safety of your co-workers! We also have some wonderful shout-outs from our clients about the work our team performed this outage season, which was our busiest season yet! Thank you for all your dedication, and don’t forget that we are staffing for Fall’s Outage season, so if you know somebody looking to start a career in nuclear industrial service, contact Stephanie about our referral program! No experience is necessary!
Finally, we also want to thank everyone who supported Dave Merrick’s 4x4x48 Fundraiser. We were able to raise over $8,000 in support of Veterans such as Mike Day!
Thank You For a Successful Spring Outage Season!
Another season is coming to an end; thank you for your hard work and enjoy your summer! Follow our social media to stay up to date on future seasonal outage jobs, the links are at the top of this page. In this issue of The Dose, learn about The Merrick Group’s nuclear professionalism. Also, don’t forget to donate to Dave Merrick’s Navy SEAL Foundation’s 4x4x48 Fundraiser.
Navy SEAL Fundraiser for Mike Day
Learn about and donate to David Merrick’s fundraiser for retired Navy SEAL Mike Day. This edition of The Dose gives props to the Brunner Island power plant service team. Also, get tips on staying focused to avoid injuries and safety issues. Finally, know somebody who wants to join our nuclear family? Learn about our employee referrals for Fall Outages.
Nuclear Industry Environmental and Government Regulations
The Merrick Group is always staying educated on the evolution of the nuclear industry. There are constant updates to environmental regulations and government regulations that an industrial cleaning and maintenance company must adhere to. Learn about our Clearance & Tagging Program, we review important safety and protection protocols.
Download the April 2023 edition of The Dose
The Merrick Group continues to focus on growth and employee development! We were able to host Central Piedmont Community College’s NDE students in our Denver, NC office. Our internship opportunities for nuclear and NDE students help develop qualified individual’s nuclear careers. Students saw our robot training wall and learned how to perform bobbin eddy current testing and the basics of heat exchangers.
- We also congratulate our ECT Level Training and Certificate employees.
- Understand and avoid risks by learning about Human Performance Tools & Standards.
- See where we are working this month.
Read more in our March edition of The Dose.
Did You Know? Per the US Dept of Energy, nuclear power plants provide over 475,000 jobs in the US!
Preparing for Spring 2023 Outage Season
In this February 2023 – The Dose, learn about our employee training. Merrick believes in hands-on training to help our employees grow and become leaders. Also, learn if you are ready to go to work this season:
- Update your personal information
- PPE – Merrick provides gloves and safety glasses on site. Learn what you need to bring.
- Check Your Belongings: Vehicle, backpack and lunchbox – don’t bring restricted items on the job.
- Drug and alcohol testing
Reach out to a Project Manage if you have any questions.
Also in this month’s company newsletter, view some of our holiday party’s photos! Finally, learn about the new projects we have scheduled at Vogtle Nuclear Plant in Waynesboro, GA & eddy current testing at Columbia Generating Station in Richland, WA.
Spring Outages 2023
From the desk of CEO Dan Merrick, “Thank you and congratulations everyone for your dedication, commitment, and hard (safe) work in 2022!” Read more in our January edition of The Dose.
Also in The Merrick Group’s company newsletter:
- The 2023 outage season is scheduled, reach out to our team if you have not received your spring schedule.
- Distracted driving statistics. Ask the question: is it worth the risk??
- Truck and trailer safety
- Learn about our Toys for Tots donations
- Did You Know? US Nuclear Energy trivia!
- Major Projects SSES supervisor quote from Tony Zielinski
- Reminders about keeping your information updated for spring outage season
- Brunner Island Steam Electric Station servicing – Some cool images from our plant maintenance and an amazing testimonial from Talen Energy’s Principal Engineers.
“The Dose” Company Newsletter – October 2022
The Merrick Group currently holds contracts with 2 of the top 10 Net Generation Plants (according to U.S. Dept of Energy). Don’t forget about our employee referral program! We are currently staffing for Spring 2023. Share our job posts on social media: LinkedIn – Facebook – Twitter
Also in this edition of The Dose, learn how we perform the correct action on the correct component every single time we go out in the field. Learn a little bit about Catawba Nuclear Station in York, SC, and get some fun facts per Duke Energy!
The Dose – August 2022 Company Newsletter
Plenty to cover! Download this edition of The Dose for the latest company news:
- Review of the hard work of the Polisher Team.
- Shout outs to the Eddy Current Engineers.
- Tips to get ready for the Fall work season.
- Welcoming newbies and the newly certified Eddy Current staff.
- Our involvement in the American Nuclear Society Utility Working Conference
- Who won the 12th Annual Merrick Group Classic!
The Dose – June 2022 Newsletter
Our focus in this newsletter is “Staying Focused” – Read some tips on how to do so. We also want to thank both the experienced and new faces this season. Also…photos galore! Send your photos to Reese Eyerly and you may just end up in our company newsletter, website, and/or social media! By the way, we are currently accepting applications for the Fall season; get credit by having your referral indicate you referred them. Reach out to Stephanie Probert for more information!
The Dose – May 2022 Newsletter
Check out this May’s company newsletter to see some photos from Susquehanna and learn about human performance tools and standards.
The Dose – April 2022 Newsletter
Shout out to our Merrick admin support: They work as a team to prep and process the tasks needed to ensure everything runs smoothly! We also want to acknowledge the hard-working employees that will be away from their families during an outage.
Check out this month’s newsletter to see some photos, learn about the Rhea County, TN nuclear plant and understand “Clearance & Tagging.”
Download the April 2022 Newsletter!
The Dose – March 2022 Newsletter
We are hitting the busy season, so we want to focus on safety. Distracted driving and other distractions on the road can have serious consequences. We want our employees to ask the question, “is it worth the risk??” Truck & trailer safety is also highlighted.
The Dose – February 2022 Newsletter
In January, ERPI Technical Specialist for Eddy Current Testing met at the West Hazleton, Pa. and Denver, NC facilities. They evaluated the implementation and effectiveness of our Quality Assurance Program and the audit concluded the Merrick Groups Quality Assurance Program is “Effectively Implemented!” PS: The Merrick Merch store is open!
The Dose – January 2022 Newsletter
Reflecting on 2021 to prepare for 2022!
As a team, we worked approximately 130,000 hours in 2021! We have some exciting updates coming in 2022, so don’t forget about our Employee Referral Program. In this issue, we focus on being prepared for the upcoming season/year and highlight our team working on the USS New York
The Dose – December 2021 Newsletter
Learn what it is like to work at The Merrick Group and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!
In this issue of the Dose, we highlight project shout-outs and get to know Oconee Nuclear Station. Learn about our mentoring program and team values as well as see pictures of our team at work. Don’t forget to donate to our Toys for Tots fundraiser and have a very Merry Christmas!
The Dose – November 2021 Newsletter
Shout-Out to the Enviva Team and Outage Season Highlights!
In this issue of the Dose, we highlight project shout-outs, common line of fire injuries and how to avoid them, and pictures of our team being awesome. Take a look at some of The Merrick Group’s project successes and develop an attitude of Thanksgiving with us!
The Dose – October 2021 Newsletter
The Merrick Group Highlights ECT and HX Projects.
October is the middle of outage season. Here is what our teams have been working on! In this issue of the dose, we highlight big projects at McGuire Nuclear Station, a client since 1981, for ECT and HX services. Take a look at some of The Merrick Group’s planned fall projects, safety principles, and celebrate The Merrick Group’s victory at Talen Energy Golf Tournament!
The Dose – September 2021 Newsletter
The Merrick Group Celebrates the 11th Annual Merrick Group Classic with $20K raised for Helping Hands Society
The end of summer is here and we are celebrating with promotions and client testimonials. We have been preparing for the Fall outage season with updated training facilities and ECT robot training. Take a look at some of The Merrick Group’s planned fall projects, how to evaluate your fitness for duty, and pictures from the 11th Annual Merrick Group Classic!
The Dose – July 2021 Newsletter
The Merrick Group Celebrates Continuing Education & New Certifications
We are keeping busy this summer with project work and trainings. Take a look at some of The Merrick Group’s planned fall projects, procedure use and adherence reminders, and teamwork on the job!
The Dose – June 2021 Newsletter
The Merrick Group Celebrates Another Safe and Successful Season
Another safe and successful season is behind us! Take a look at some of The Merrick Group’s planned fall projects, some picturesque memories from this season, and some more client testimonials!
The Dose – May 2021 Newsletter
The Merrick Group reflects on some of this season’s successful projects and their contributing staff
As we approach the end of this season, we’re taking a look at some of our recent successful projects and highlighting those involved. Take a look at some on-the-job photos, learn more about our staff, and read about the successful completion of the first phase of a four-year project to replace 16 water piping valves at Susquehanna!
Duke Energy – McGuire Nuclear Station
The Merrick Group returned to McGuire Nuclear Station in September of 2015 and March of 2016.
This time around the plant asked that we hydrolaze their feedwater heaters as an alternative to shooting swivel U-tube scrappers to remove the iron oxide build-up on the tubes. We performed this work on (4) feedwater heaters in September and (6) feedwater heaters in March. In addition to the feedwater heater work we cleaned, dimple plugged, and plugged tubes in the condenser water boxes. We also performed maintenance on other heat exchangers throughout the outage. The Merrick Group also assisted Taprogge in performing maintenance on the amertap system. We will be returning to McGuire in the spring of 2017.
Point Beach Nuclear
The Merrick Group returned to Point Beach in October of 2015 and March of 2016.
Our scope of work included hydrolazing condenser water boxes, various heat exchangers, and feedwater heaters. We completed this work by manual hand lancing with pressure up to 20,000 psi. We will be returning to Point Beach in the spring of 2017.
Duke Energy – Catawba Nuclear Station
The Merrick Group took part in the fall of 2015 Catawba Nuclear outage.
We worked on the condenser water boxes, various heat exchangers, and the amertap system. We cleaned and plugged tubes in the water boxes along with pressure washing and inspecting the amertap system. We will be returning to Catawba in the fall of 2016.
The Merrick Group returned to Calvert Cliffs in November of 2015 to perform the online condenser cleaning.
In February of 2016, we participated in their major outage. Our scope of work included cleaning (6) condenser water boxes, (2) feedwater heaters, vac truck services, and amertap maintenance. We also assisted EST in stabilizing a tube in one of the condenser water boxes. The vac truck services included sucking out each water box before and after the cleaning and sucking out numerous pipes for the plant. We will be back in the fall of 2016 for the annual online water box cleaning.